Bats: Right, Throws: Left
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 185 lb.
Born: May 30, 1936 in San Diego, CA
Debut: September 27, 1960 St. Louis Cardinals
Final Game: June 2, 1969 ST. Louis Cardinals
Purchased by the Los Angeles Angels from the St. Louis Cardinals on October 15, 1962.
May 25, 1964: Purchased by the Minnesota Twins from the Los Angeles Angels.
Started the 7th in relief of Bo Belinsky trailing 3-1 and walked the first batter he faced JC Martin, ended up going the final 3 innings giving up only 1 hit and striking out 3 in a 3-1 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday, April 11, 1963 (N) at Chavez Ravine.
Went 2-3 in 36 games (3 starts) with a 5.30 ERA.
I asked Mr. Nelson what one of his fondest memories was:
- Began his pro career as an outfielder and hit 27 home runs for the Fresno Cardinals in 1955.
- He was converted to pitching in 1957 and spent parts of six seasons in the majors.
- Gave up 2 HRs in a game 3 times for the Angels in 3 consecutive months.
- Also played for the Cardinals and the Twins.
- Following his playing career, he was a longtime scout.