Saturday, February 20, 2021

Everything You Need To Know Is In The Book

Many of the players I have written to were in their more senior years...over 70. And a few of them had actually written books about their baseball experiences. Elden Auker was 92 when I wrote to him, so I completely understood when he was hesitant to write out answers to the few questions that I had, and instead referred my to his book.

"If you want to know more about me, go to any good book store & buy my book, "Sleeper Cars & Flannel Uniforms" - Triumph Book, Chicago."

I love it!
Make sure that it's a "good" book store! I thought that I had actually gone out and purchased the book after learning about it, but a scan of my bookcase says otherwise.

Correspondence received in February, 2003.
Elden Auker passed away on August 4, 2006 at the age of 95.

Detroit Tigers (1933–1938)
Boston Red Sox (1939)
St. Louis Browns (1940–1942)

Turned down a $6,000 contract by the Chicago Bears, to pitch for the Tigers instead.
First batter he faced was Babe Ruth, whom he struck out on four pitches.
World Series Champion (1935)

Win–loss record 130–101
Earned run average 4.42
Strikeouts 594


5 comments:

  1. not a bad way to start a big league career!
    i don't/didn't typically ask questions when i sent ttm requests, but bobby winkles did refer me to his then soon-to-be released book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. That tidbit on Ruth is awesome. I think I'd throw that information on my business card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there have been plenty of bad bookstores over the years, so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good baseball book. I often wonder how many are written about lesser known players such as this gentleman. If anyone knows of a good list of obscure titles, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great career highlights. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete