Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Who Knows What AAGPBL Stands For?

I do! It stands for the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. You know, what the movie A League of Their Own was based on. Many of the women that played in the league from 1943-1955 were still active going to reunions and autograph signings in the late 90's early 00's when I started corresponding with them. Donna Stageman was one of them, she played for the 1946 Peoria Red Wings.

She included this photocopy, and left a note at the bottom:
"Thank you for your interest in AAGPBL. We enjoyed the competition, played hard and even got paid. Our reunions are electric with some age."

She also wrote on the index card I included:
"One outstanding moment for me was when the little girls in the stadium came on the field to get our autographs."

Correspondence received in May, 2004.

After playing for Peoria she returned home and played softball in Billings for many years and was a teacher for 35 years. In 1999 she was inducted into the Montana Softball Hall of Fame.
I believe she recently celebrated her 95th birthday.


4 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I saw the movie when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Played professional softball... and then taught for 35 years. Now that's one heck of a life. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete