Thursday, May 10, 2012

Completed Set - 2010 Cap'n Crunch

Definitely no Angels in this set.

 As a follow on to my last post about completing the 1989 Cap'n Crunch set I thought it would be appropriate to show the retro 2010 Cap'n Crunch set. I think that Quaker Oats missed the boat though by not making these baseball themed. Would have been pretty cool to see Jean LaFoote with a baseball bat in his hands.

i apologise for the overly blurry pictures.  The boxes are so large they wouldn't fit on my scanner so I tried to do the best I could with dim light and a cheap digital camera.



In 2010 Quaker Oats put out a set of six different Cap'n Crunch Limited Edition cards.  The cards were printed on retro style boxes of Cap'n Crunch.

Two different cards were printed on the backs of the three types of Cap'n Crunch: Regular, Crunch Berries, and Peanut Butter.



Instead of printing the backs of the cards on the inside of the box, Quaker chose to print the card backs right next to the fronts, so the kid would have to cut out both sides separately, apply heavy doses of Elmers, and then try to align the two halves up.  Good luck with that kiddos.

I found it so difficult I decided to keep the whole box instead.

The regular box featured the two dominant Cap'n Crunch characters and arch rivals, The Cap'n and his arch enemy the notorious Jean LaFoote.



Crunch Berries of course had cards of the Crunch Beast and the Cap'ns best little buddy Sea Dog.



On the Peanut Butter (yuck) box you would find Magnolia Bulkhead and another of the Cap'n little friends Smedley.

Below are some close-up of the individual cards.



Though not numbered I would consider these in numerical order, the Cap'n (or Cap'n Horatio Magellan Crunch to you) of course being card #1.
I never knew the Cap'ns mission statement until now.  Who is this Wild Man of Borneo?  And why is the Cap'n searching for him?  And has anyone ever seen a Soggie? Or is a Soggie just a state you don't want your cereal to be in?  They were introduced in the 80's when I was a young 20-something and wasn't paying much attention.

Maybe some day there will be an extended set to include the Wild Man and a Soggie, with Alfie, Carlyle, Dave, and Brunhilde.



The answer to a popular arch-rival trivia contest, Jean LaFoote was a barefoot bad guy.
Jean's mustache is actually growing OUT of his nose.



I vaguely remember the Crunch Beast, but obviously he's a happy fellow, therefore allowed to hang with the Cap'n.  Crunch Berries were my personal favorite until Quaker changed them up and completely ruined them.



I probably would have put Sea Dog just ahead of Crunch Beast as I remember Sea Dog always being at the Cap'ns side.


Magnolia Bulkhead?  No clue who she was but obviously in love with The Man.  I have a feeling she was a gold digger though, just wanted the Cap'n for his Crunch.



Smedley often rode a bicycle to get his hands on Crunch, usually resulting in something being smashed and Smedly missing out.

Tsk Tsk Smedly (get it?)



I'm digging Cap'n Crunch cards and so is Alfie!


No comments:

Post a Comment