Thursday, September 28, 2023

Summer Trip to Florida

Took a week off to drive out to Florida, from Texas, to visit my daughter and son-in-law. I usually like to stop and see small baseball fields, but due to time constraints I opted for quick stops at aviation sites. Pulling 8-10-hour driving days is brutal for me nowadays, next time we'll take 3 days to get there and see more stuff along the way. It was a beautiful, mostly forested drive, 20 East to Jackson MS a jog down to Mobile AL, then 10 East into Jacksonville FL.

Here's our rental ride. We got a free upgrade to this, and it was a really nice ride. And we were able to fit a lot more of my daughter's stuff in the back too.

Vicksburg, Mississippi Welcome Center

Vicksburg Bridge (1973) and Old Vicksburg Bridge (1930)


Old Vicksburg Bridge viewed from Battery Benton on Navy Circle.

USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park, Mobile, Alabama

USS Drum SS-228







Vietnam Veterans Memorial, at USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park





Naval Station Mayport, Jacksonville, Florida
My son-in-law is stationed here on DDG-109 Jason Dunham.





HMS Prince of Wales was in port.


Old St. John's River Light (1830)

St. John's Light (1954)





George R. Hall Airpark, Bobby L. Chain Municipal Airport, Hattiesburg, Mississippi.







Chennault Aviation and Military Museum of Louisiana, Monroe, Louisiana.




These were all just samplings of the airplanes, if you'd like to see more from this trip, or older ones, you can see them at my other blog Look! An Airplane! on the sidebar.





7 comments:

  1. I was hoping to meet up while you were down. Maybe next time. Looks like you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom isn't free. Thanks to your son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking us on your vacation with you. I love seeing ships and jets (especially blackbirds).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you got plenty of fun stuff in, despite not having as much time as you would've liked. I'm normally only interested in aeroplanes that are a bit older than most of these, but there are a few in here that I would be interested in seeing up close like this.

    P.S. I'd hate to see the gas bill that you must've racked up driving that Tahoe to FL and back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those pictures!

    ReplyDelete