Monday, January 15, 2018

TTM Return From Ryan Wheeler

Not that Ryan Wheeler. The one you're all probably thinking of is the guy who pitched for the Diamondbacks and Rockies. This Ryan Wheeler is even better (no offence other Ryan Wheeler). This Ryan Wheeler played briefly in the Angels system, for the Boise Hawks, before pursuing a career in coaching, where he's been very successful.

1994 Fleer Pro Cards Boise Hawks #3366

No doubt, I love getting signed cards back in the mail, but I also love it when a player takes the time to answer a couple questions. The best part of this return was Ryan's thoughtful response to my first question:
And that's why I love writing to these ballplayers. I like to think that one of my gifts is encouragement, I like to encourage people. By including a note, and asking questions of the ballplayer, not just wanting him to "sign these cards", I hope to let them know that they are still thought of and not forgotten, and that their contributions to baseball are important and appreciated. That people care.
That's why I still collect autographs and correspondence.

Sent to St Josephs University, Ryan returned this in 12 days, on January 13, 2018.




1 comment:

  1. I love the halo on the A in "Hawks" on the jersey. I went though a phase of sending some questions to players a few years back but got away from it.

    ReplyDelete