Thursday, January 19, 2023

New Player Collection - Theoren Fleury

Most recent card added.
1998 Pacific Starting Lineup

I like hockey, and I love watching it on TV or in person but I'm not a hockey collector. I've had a good amount of hockey cards in the past, but those were disposed of years ago. I have maybe a handful left, most are in my trade box, and I still have a partial set of 1990 score. I've never really had a favorite team. I kinda liked the Ducks since they were close to home and I had been to games at the Pond, but I tend to lean more towards the Sharks if I had to pick one. I've really only had one favorite hockey player: Theoren Fleury.

Man was he something else to see.

Anyhow, I rediscovered a small stash of Fleury cards, in a plastic box, at the back of a drawer, and decided I'd add him to my Player Collections.

The first time I got to see him play in person was at The Pond on February 2, 1994, in the Ducks Inaugural Season. We went again on April 11. He was five seasons in already, but he was still just as fast and explosive as ever.


Calgary won the first game 4-2, Fleury had 2 shots-on-goal.
Calgary also won the second game 3-0, and this time Fleury had 1 goal (on a power play), 1 assist with 7 shots-on-goal. A great game to see!

Pocket schedule from the Inaugural Season.

And the program for the February 2nd game.

1990 Score #226

1992 Upper Deck #245
I got these both signed TTM sometime in the mid 90's.


3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I don't collect hockey cards and don't really follow it too much these days, but I actually recently read Fleury's autobiography since his story seemed compelling. It was an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, I remember him when the Rangers signed him. Although if I recall correctly, his time in NY wasn't very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such a deep admiration for Fleury. He's proof that good things come in small packages. It seemed like every time he faced off against my beloved Sharks... he'd scored one or two goals. There was a time when I couldn't stand him... but eventually I came around.

    ReplyDelete