Saturday, March 9, 2024

One Page of Ralph Hodgin

 This series highlights "one page" at a time from my binder of correspondence and autographs from former players and personnel.


   Ralph Hodgin
1939 Boston Bees
1943-1948 Chicago White Sox
Spent the 1945 season in the military.

"When I was with the White Sox we were playing the Red Sox one afternoon. I was playing third base and Joe Haynes was pitching the bases were loaded no outs. Jim Tabor hit a low liner down the line, I dove and caught it and stepped on third and threw to first base for triple play. My first and only triple play I ever saw."

That 5-5-3 triple play occurred on August 10, 1944.
Hodgin was also a part of the biggest inning in White Sox history, when they scored 13 runs in the fourth in 1943. He had a triple and double knocking in two runs and scoring twice.

Correspondence received in February 2003.

Hodgin passed away on October 4, 2011 at the age of 96.


3 comments:

  1. Tom would you please email me your address at padrographsatlivedotcom. I have some cards for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these series that you do. It's so cool to hear stories from so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't familiar with Mr. Hodgin until reading this post. Looks like he lived a very long life and had some cool MLB stories to share with his grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete