Monday, December 19, 2011

Completed Team Set 1962 Topps Stamps

This was the second year Topps issued player stamps. They were issued in two-stamp panels as an insert with Topps baseball cards. Unlike the 1961 set, team logos were included on stamps as well. There are 201 stamps in the complete set (originally 200 but Roy Seivers was pictured on the wrong team, and then corrected). An album was available for the stamps to be stuck in, a tab on the two-stamp panel advertising the accompanying album.

The Angels in the set included 9 player stamps plus a logo stamp. My team set came already affixed to the Angels page in the stamp album. If you look closely you'll also see that all the stamp edges have been trimmed, and several are damaged with tears and scuffing, but I don't mind that.

The back of the page includes an overview of the Angels 1961 season, and then 1961 and career records for each player pictured.

I said earlier that I didn't mind the condition of the stamps in the album above, but that's not entirely true. The trimming of the perforations conflicted with the perfectionist in me so I purchased most of the stamps in a lot:


I used the black background so you could really see the jagged edges of the stamps.

I only need the Steve Bilko stamp to complete it.

1 comment:

  1. That is very cool - I knew Topps created an album, but never seen the stamps actually in it.

    ReplyDelete