Friday, December 23, 2011

Somethings Missing Here

I was going through a box of well worn junk: mostly 1991 Topps, Donruss and Fleer baseball, 1991-92 football, and a scattering of basketball. I was getting ready to donate the shoebox but figured I'd go through it first just in case.

I did a double-take when I came across this Karl Malone card:

What kinda card is this? What's that black box all about? I put my thumb on it thinking it was a heat sensative hidden image. Nope. Then I turned the card over and realized it was a Fleer Ultra Rebound King insert card.

Here's the back:

What do all Fleer Ultra have in common folks? Gold! There's no gold on the front. There's the error!

Here is a similar card from the 1994 Ultra Rebound King subset:

So, see all the gold that's missing from the Karl Malone card? No gold Karl Malone, no gold 93-94 Fleer Ultra, and no gold Rebound King logo.

Sweet.  If you dig this card and want it for you collections of errors and variations, I posted it on sportlots.  Please keep the wagering friendly.

2 comments:

  1. With the price of gold over $1700/ounce, someone probably took it to one of those "We buy Gold" places.

    Ok, I'm just kidding, but it's late. Or early. I'm really tired.

    ReplyDelete