Thursday, January 19, 2012
Angels Debut #108 Jackie Warner
John Joseph Warner
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 180 lb.
Born: August 1, 1943 in Monrovia, CA
MLB Debut: April 12, 1966 California Angels
Final MLB Game: July 27, 1966 California Angels
Years with the Angels: 1966
Before 1962 Season: Signed by the Los Angeles Angels as an amateur free agent.
June 15, 1967: Traded by the California Angels with Jack Sanford to the Kansas City Athletics for Roger Repoz.
(First of 5 Angels to debut in this game)
Started the game in right field, but had no chances in the first. With 1 out and a man on in the second inning, off Tommy John, he flew out to right fielder Floyd Robinson. He ended the day 2 for 6 with 3 strikeouts in a 3-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday, April 12, 1966 (D) at Comiskey Park I.
In 123 ABs over 45 games hit .211 with 7 HR, 4 doubles and a triple, 16 RBI and .431 SLG.
Best Angels Performance:
Went 2 for 4 with a HR, 2 RBI and 3 R in a 13-2 win against the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday, May 4, 1966 (N) at Anaheim Stadium.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS:
- First year in the minor leagues (1962), set a California League record for home runs (21).
- Hit 75 HR in his first 3 minor league seasons.
- His first 3 Major League HRs were game winners.
- Injured his shoulder crashing into OF wall making a catch.
- Hated to face Al Downing - 4K in 5AB, .000 BA.