Monday, July 10, 2023

Eye Opening Experiments

My PCs are blossoming like never before through TCDB trades, and it's a lot of fun. There a so many cards I didn't realize were out there, and variations galore for the 90's guys. A few of those variations like the "missing period" in "Made in the U.S.A" sometimes command a higher value. I don't get it though, its junk wax, and it's just missing a period. Every MLB team has paid big bucks for a "star" player experiment hoping he'll take you to the post season, but in the end, they fizzle out and take you nowhere, for a lot of dough.

TCDB #107 jimetal7212

Went heavy on the Joyner and Abbott PCs for this trade. The Baseball Best Abbott is the silly "one asterisk (*)" variation.
 
1992 Upper Deck All-Star FanFest - Gold

Funny, when I was inputting my Angels collection into TCDB I kept coming across variation cards I had either forgotten about or didn't realize existed. This Ron Jackson is the "red border" variation I had forgotten about. There is another that has "A's" instead of Angels in the glove.

Another TCDB "eye opener" is this '99 UD MLB 2000 card. When I first decided to try for this set I thought there were just seven cards for M, L, B, 2, 0, 0, 0. But no. TCDB let me know that there are actually 33 cards with 33 different "tips" (see the tiny print on the bottom?). Now I'm hesitant to try to complete it.


TCDB #108 myrke

Juan Rivera in an Expos uniform a bit chunkier than I remember him. Maybe the Angels uniform made him look slimmer.

Josh Hamilton Experiment - didn't go so well.
Justin Upton Experiment - Meh
Anthony Rendon Experiment - not looking so good.



4 comments:

  1. The Hamilton-Upton-Rendon bit in the middle reminds me how so much of the Mike Trout story (and really just an overall recap of the parts of the Moreno era Angels that matter) can be told through the teammates he's had over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the day, I pulled a Joyner out of a pack of 1987 Fleer Star Stickers and it felt like I won the lottery. Treated it like it was one of my most valuable cards in the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the Angels have shelled out the money for players they thought would be big time, but end up cratering - maybe they shouldn't always try to pick the shiniest toy to have in the off-season, but build on picking up lesser players that are perfectly competent but end up being the 'glue guys' that keep the team going.

    They should also do better developing prospects that give a team a homegrown foundation, even if as a whole, none end up being superstar talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine paying extra for an extra asterisk or missing period, but I'm sure that there are people out there who have, and still do.

    ReplyDelete