Friday, July 7, 2023

Big Cards and the Pages That Love Them

What do Hawaii, Kansas, and Indiana have in common? Trade mail! I think this is the first time I've ever traded with anyone in Hawaii. Unless I'm forgetting a blogger from Hawaii. It's great that the postage is the same even though it has to be flown such a long distance over water.

TCDB #104 Mokolai

1985 Donruss Action All-Stars
Love these 3.5 x 5 cards, but it seems like I never have the pages to store odd-sized cards, so they'll go in a sheet protector for now.
Night Owl discussed this dilemma recently.

It's funny that whenever I see Art Howe, I think of him as a manager. My first thought here was, "Why is the manager on Nolan Ryan's card?"

I think that I would prefer to be the team on the front of the card rather than the back. If the Angels happen to be on the back of the checklist, I display the back side forward with the team set, and that bothers me a bit.
But it would bother me more to have a checklist there and not see that the Angels are on it.


TCDB #105 yrrcwc

Did Tim Burcham miss team photo day? Seems he's at a different stadium.



Finally, under 100 cards for the 1989 Upper Deck set.

Scott Servais gazing up at the #444 thinking "Uh-oh".

So, I glanced at that 1990 Fleer checklist and thought, "Is that a key, why did I get a basketball checklist?" Is that white shape related to football somehow? Is it a cathedral window? Any ideas?



TCDB #106 rcxheth

The 1992 Leaf is a "no period" variation.






6 comments:

  1. I'll get you some of the over sized Donruss. And some checklists too! Give me a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKay Christensen - that's a random name but I knew he was an Angels draft pick in the early 90s and I think got his autograph 25 years ago when he reached the big leagues with the Chicago White Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look like a basketball court. I think Hoops might have done a similar design feature. Not sure what it has to do with football.

    Nice Nolan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key on the football checklist is weird, but it does go with the base card design of athletes in that set. It's just leaving out the team helmet and this chrome looking football thing at the bottom that distinguishes it as a football set.

    P.S. I love Donruss Action All-Stars. Opened a bunch of the 1983 product... and some 1984. Maybe one day I'll open up some 1985.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had kept track of all the states I had traded cards to and from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be very disappointed if Pete Coachman never went into coaching (or became a coachman).

    ReplyDelete