Monday, February 19, 2024

One Page of Herschel Lyons

 This series highlights "one page" at a time from my binder of correspondence and autographs from former players and personnel.


   Herschel Lyons
His MLB career was 1 relief appearance for the 1941 St. Louis Cardinals.
Served in WWII in Italy and Africa.
"Hubbell was before my time and Gibson later after I was gone. I played American Legion & sandlot ball with Bobby Doerr. Casey Stengel was from Glendale, Calif. a suburb of LA. I knew Casey when he was a manager in the "Old Pacific Coast League". It existed out [this way?] before the Majors came West."

I love that he pointed out that he was 88 years old. I'm sure he was proud of his longevity.

Correspondence received in January 2004.

Herschel passed away on April 8, 2008, at the age of 92.


4 comments:

  1. Hope Lyons enjoyed his retirement as he lived a long life. It's really cool that he took the time to write a handwritten letter back to you. In fact, all of these correspondence posts are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone whose fortunate enough to make to 88 should be proud of their longevity.

    ReplyDelete