Sunday, February 11, 2024

One Page of Wayne Terwilliger

This series will highlight "one page" at a time from my binder of correspondence and autographs from former players and personnel.


   Wayne Terwilliger
1949-1960 Cubs, Dodgers, Senators, Giants, Athletics
and long-time coach.
Fortunately, after I got this return with no signed items, Terwilliger became the manager (and later a coach) for the local Fort Worth Cats, and I was able to get his autograph in person several times.

Terwilliger passed away on February 3, 2021 at the age of 95.


7 comments:

  1. Thought for a moment he'd blacked out his teeth on the 56…

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea for a series. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes wonder whether Sideshow Bob Terwillinger on The Simpsons was named for him. But apparently there's a Terwilliger Boulevard in Portland, Oregon, and Matt Groening named a lot of the Simpsons characters after streets in Portland, so that's probably it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when he was coach on the Rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. He was coaching into his late 70's. That's impressive. I'm in my early 50's and starting to countdown the years until retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't recall ever seeing his '56 before... what a great looking card!

    ReplyDelete