Saturday, April 22, 2017

Three And Done?

I dunno. I'm pretty sure I didn't actually purchase any Topps packs last year, for a variety of reasons, one being that I'm just tired of Topps. My family probably gave me some for Fathers Day, or Christmas, but I couldn't bring myself to actually pay for their product.

2017 Topps Series 1, Target
12 cards per pack

This year I just bought my first packs, three to be exact, and they might be my last, we'll see.
No long commentary about Topps and their products, I'm just gonna show what I pulled, and note a few observations.

PACK 1
Some interesting things going on in those two cards above:

Everyone else cheers a Cubs win, this guy chugs his beer.

Gotchya nose!

I'm not a fan of this years design, but the photography is really good.
The Jean Segura card is cool, you can see the dirt flying off his glove from the scoop. 

Ah, 1987 retros again, this time with fancy silver embossing.
These have an almost plastic feel about them.
The Gold Glove card is a Target only pull.

Cant say I've paid too much attention to these anti-theft inserts, but I think this is the first time I've noticed them using the brown cardboard.

12/12 cards + 1 anti-theft


 PACK 2
 When I heard a while ago that Sean Rodriguez was in a car accident, it didn't dawn on me that it was this Sean Rodriguez. Then I saw this card and I thought, "He's still in baseball?" (thinking he's been around forever, I remember him with the Angels, a long time ago, thought he had retired). Then I see on the back of his card that this is only his 10th season.

Hey, how about that? I pulled a used dime-box card with a bronze-foil embossed REDISCOVER TOPPS! Compared to some I've seen, this one is in really good shape.

13/12 cards, Bronze Rediscover Topps


PACK 3
Beltre's card has my head swimming, as I stumble off to the left.

Miguel Sano's Rainbow Foil parallel scanned really, really nicely, almost looks 3-D.

12/12, and not a single Angels card in three packs.

So, again, the jury is still out as to whether or not I buy any more Topps this year.

3 comments:

  1. I was a one and done. It's a fun rip, but it's not something I seek out any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't purchased any 2017 packs yet. I'm sure I'll grab an Archives or Stadium Club blaster... but not quite sure about a flagship blaster.

    ReplyDelete