Sunday, April 17, 2011
Debut #97 Rudy May
Bats: Left, Throws: Left
Height: 6' 2", Weight: 205 lb.
Born: July 18, 1944 in Coffeyville, KS
Debut: April 18, 1965 California Angels
Final Game: September 21, 1983 New York Yankees
Years with the Angels: 1965-1974
December 3, 1964: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with Costen Shockley to the California Angels for Bo Belinsky.
June 15, 1974: Purchased by the New York Yankees from the California Angels.
As the starting pitcher he struck out the first batter he faced, George Smith. May went a solid nine innings giving up 1 run on 1 hit and striking out 10, but left with the game tied. The Angels ended up losing the game in the top of the 13th when the Tigers scored 3 runs and the Angels failed to score in the bottom of the inning on Sunday, April 18, 1965 (D) at Chavez Ravine.
In his 7 years with the Angels he had a 51-76 record (170 starts), with 12 shutouts, 5 saves and 3.67 ERA over 1138.2 innings pitched.
Best Angels Performance:
Had a 16K, 5H complete game 3-1 win against the Minnesota Twins on Thursday, August 10, 1972 (N) at Anaheim Stadium.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS:
- Signed by the Minnesota Twins as an amateur free agent in 1962.
- Also played for Yankees (74-76, 80-83); Orioles (76-77); and Expos (78-79).
- Starting pitcher for the Yankees in the first game at the "new" Yankee Stadium after its rebuilding on April 15, 1976.
- Was known for having a very good curveball.
- His 1,760 ranks him 92nd in career strikeouts.
- Ten games with double-digit strikeouts.
- Six games went more than 9 innings pitched, max was 12.2 in 1973.
- Loved to face Sixto Lezcano: 5 for 35, 18K, .143BA.
- Reggie Jackson was 19 for 79, 2HR, 25K, .241BA.