Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stack-O-Mail Angels and Doug Jones

Nice little batch of recent mail returns.


Andrew Romine signed his 2011 Topps Heritage card c/o the Salt Lake Bees. He returned the card in 8 days.


Tommie Reynolds signed this 1965 and 1971 Topps cards in 6 days from his home in Bainbridge, Georgia.


He also signed my custom All-Time Angels card. I guess he wants to be called Tom now. He was nice enough to answer a few questions as well.

I asked him about a statistic I saw on baseball-reference that said he was #1 in 1969with a Range Factor/9 innings for LF of 2.51. I didn't know what that means, did he? "No, I don't." was his response. Goes to show you that maybe we're getting a little carried away with statistics.


Bob Lee took 228 days to sign and return his 1965 and 1966 Topps cards. I was beginning to wonder if these had been lost since I was seeing other returns before and after mine. Bob also answered a few brief questions.

Bob played for the Los Angeles/California Angels from 1964-1966. He currently lives in Rapid City, South Dakota. I asked him a question about becoming a barber after his playing days were over (a fact that baseball-reference mentions), he corrected me and said that he became an iron worker, "Local 443, L.A. Scared the hell out of me sometimes - but I loved it."


I needed Doug Jones for several sets I'm working on, and he kindly obliged by signing a 1989 and 1991 Upper Deck and a 1992 Topps Stadium Club. Doug also included 2 signed testimony cards. He added "PTL" to all the cards and sent them back in 72 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment