Sunday, November 2, 2014

Was Ionix Worth It?

I won this pack of 1999 Upper Deck Ionics on Listia for a measly 672 credits with free shipping.
It wasn't until I opened the envelope it came in that I noticed how much a pack of these cost retail.

Wow, $4.99 for a pack of 4 cards.
I can say with certainty that I never bought a pack of these in 1999.
What was the draw?
Ionix Technology?
Whatever that is.
HoloGrFX inserts were hard to come by (1:1500) but would you really pay 5 bucks for a chance to pull a HoloGrFX out of a pack of only 4 cards?
I don't think so.


So here is your Ionix Technology that's so expensive.
Sorry, I just dont see it.


Hadn't we seen foil-type cards already?


I'm sure we had already seen glossy cards as well.
Topps Tiffany had been around since the 80's.


Nitro Insert (1:18) N9
Beefed up Mark McGwire

So honestly I want to know. 
Anyone out there really go gangbusters on these back in that day?

1 comment:

  1. I busted two boxes of these back then. but only paid $30 each. In fact I hated the sets too (actually ugy), a few insert sets as I remember only 1 or two were okay , the HoloGrFx not so hot. I'll have to rumble through what I have boxed up to see what the okay ones were.

    ReplyDelete