Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Junk Mall Junk Wax Wednesday

 Ripping a random pack of junk wax from the local junk mall.

Pack of 12 cards and 1 PGA Discount Card with a chance to pull a Dean Beman (Commissioner) insert or an Arnold Palmer hologram card. John Daly's rookie card is in this set as well.

When people ask me if I'm a golfer, I say "Have I golfed? Yes. Do I like golf? Yes. Do I consider myself a golfer? No!"

That's because I only get out to golf maybe once a year, and in the last ten years I've been out maybe once. But I do like it. And I'll watch it on TV once in a while, if there's no other sports on.

Haven't heard of any of these guys. Maybe Larry Mize?
I'll WATCH golf, and play rarely, but I'm not fan enough to know most of the pros.

Gary Player I know about. That's probably why his card is a darker shade of green.

Half a mil in 1990? Player indeed.

Really? Ten cents off?
I looked it up. Ten cents in 1991 was twenty-two cents. Still, to design, print and distribute tens of thousands of these for twenty-two cents off?



6 comments:

  1. I've heard of Larry Mize. So he must have been pretty good.
    And Gary Player of course.
    Maybe Player got a different color because he was on the senior tour. And Rinker got grey for being a "statistical leader".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof, I don't recognize most of those guys either and I thought I knew enough about golf. I guess that didn't start until the '90s were well underway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a John Brodie in this set for anyone who wants an NFL tie-in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the 10c off discount coupons from Pro Set hockey. Might have been more impressive if they said 10% off, since I think packs were a dollar back then.

    Not a golf fan at all but I have heard of Mize and Player. Couldn't tell you anything about 'em though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've watched more golf this year than ever before. Sundays are my days to hang out with my dad... and most of the time there's golf on my brother's television. Seems like you and I are on par with our responses to being golfers. Played for the first time in 2023 two weeks ago, but it was ugly. Luckily the three other people I played with struggled too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of any of these guys!

    ReplyDelete