Monday, March 19, 2012

The Randomness of John Olerud #1-5

The only non-Angel I collect is John Olerud. I followed John closely in the 90's and went to see him many times at Anaheim or in Arlington. I clipped newspaper articles on him and picked up his cards.

I figured it was time to start displaying his cards in my collection. Unfortunatly I never got into any relic cards of his because whenever I had the dough to spend I would instead go for Angels relics especially those of Tim Salmon.

So if theres any traders out there ready to part with John Olerud, let me know.

My Olerud binder is in semi-chronological order, so here's the first five cards I came to.

#1 1991 Topps Toys "R" Us Rookies #24. Some of my favorite sets of cards are the Toys "R" Us Rookies box sets. This one doesn't disappoint.  John was born in Bellevue, Washington on August 5, 1968.


#2 1992 Fleer Ultra #151.  Nice shot of John at first base wearing his trademark helmet in the field.  Johns birthplace changed on the back this card to Seattle, Washington.  Hmmmm.


#3 1990 Score #589.  I love those early 90's Jays uniforms.  He had a remarkable college career at Washington State as a pitcher and first baseman.


#4 1992 Topps Stadium Club #531.  As a lefty against left-handed pitchers John hit .750 on balls low and outside.


#5 1990 Donruss #711.  One of my least favorite card designs.  John has worn the helmet in the field since undergoing surgery for an aneurism near his brain in 1989.

There you have it, the first 5 cards in my John Olerud binder.

4 comments:

  1. His father, John, spent 7 years in the minor leagues, the first six in the Angels' chain.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=olerud001joh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I sent him a few things to sign several years ago, he was very gracious. Thanks Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a bunch of John Olerud cards I can send you...Jays and Mets for sure, I'm not sure if I have any of him in a Mariners uniform...I'll check tonight..

    ReplyDelete