Monday, February 13, 2012

Those Blue Books On My Bookshelf

The question was asked the other day about the blue-spined books on my bookshelf.  I thought what a great idea for a post!

This is one of the books in question:

Baseball Legends - Jimmie Foxx

This series of 40 books were published in 1991 by Chelsea House Publishers.

This one was written by Norm Macht but there are several different authors used in the series.

Here's the list of subjects in the series:


You can see the checkmark next to the one's that I have. I'm lacking only three: Roy Campanella, Dizzy Dean, and Pete Rose.

I picked these books up back around 1998-1999 at the 99-Cent Only stores in Southern California. Yep, a buck a piece. But I acquired them roughly 2 or 3 at a time, so it took a while to amass the 37 books I have.

The books are roughly 60 pages with a scattering of black-and-white photos of the player represented. The last two pages give a chronology of the players life and his career statistics.

Here's a sample page:


The photo quality is actually pretty good and there are several full-page photos throughout.

Here's the back of the book:


Check out the book price in the lower left corner, $14.95! No wonder I found them on blow-out for a buck a piece at the 99-Cent Only Stores. A full series at that price would have cost $598.00, plus tax!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you did a post - I could not remember whose blog I had asked! Those are nice books, a great idea.

    ReplyDelete