Monday, July 20, 2015

The Attention Is In The Details

Great thing about collecting cards is that I'm forever coming across cards I've never seen or heard of.

2009 Topps Ticket To Stardom #9
I knew about Ticket To Stardom since it first came out in 2009.
Nice looking card, and the real cool ones came with a piece of a real ticket stub embedded into the card, others have the ticket stub plus a jersey swatch.  I have a Mike Napoli one like that.

But recently I came across this card:

I probably blew right past it a couple times in the past dubbing it a duplicate.
But this time I immediately figured that what I was seeing was some sort of printing error.
You've seen the cards with the roller marks across them.
I thought that's what this was at first.
See the ridges on the top and bottom borders of the card?

But upon closer inspection...

..I determined this was no ordinary printing error.
These are way to consistent and evenly spaced to be a printing error, they look like...
PERFORATIONS!

Ebay quickly solved the mystery.

Each card issued in the set (left) had a "perforated" parallel version (right).
A perforated card was inserted one per pack.
The cards are IDENTICAL except for the BARELY noticeable perforated top and bottom.
Easy to miss.

So go back all of you, to your stack of 2009 Topps Ticket To Stardoms and see if you have any perforated parallels.
Bet you didn't notice them the first time.


1 comment:

  1. I knew that, hehe. I have a small handful of them in the TmT box I think around scan #100 ish. LOL

    ReplyDelete