Monday, March 13, 2023

Resale Shop Treasure Find

My daughter works at a resale shop and occasionally she finds me some cool stuff like scale model kits and such. This time she found me some baseball cards. She sent me a couple photos of two boxes of cards, I chose this one:

Sealed in plastic and labelled "1975-1976 Topps" for $49.00. She gets a pretty good discount, so these were about $15.00 less. The other box was labelled "1986-1987 Topps" which I already have a ton of so I passed on that one.

After sorting I found there were actually 708 cards from 1973-1988, which makes that about 5-cents a card if I did my math right. Here's the breakdown:
1973 - 2
1974 - 14
1975 - 235
1976 - 152
1977 - 297
1987 - 7 (all Darryl Strawberry)
1988 - 1

There weren't really any big hits or big stars in the box, and there aren't enough of each year to justify trying to complete these sets (even when added to those I already have), so they'll probably end up in my traders on TCDB. 

Here's some of the cards I liked:
There were a decent number of Angels in the box, but I already had them all. I'll have to see if I can swap any out based on condition.

The Monteagudo card (looks like he's pictured at Angels Spring Training in Tempe) talks about him being traded from the Angels to the Phillies (also mentioning Billy Grabarkewitz, Denny Doyle and Chris Coletta).
Do I include this with the Angels team set then?

Interesting fact:
"Aurelio Monteagudo was killed in a car accident in Saltillo, Mexico nine days before his 47th birthday. He, Aurelio Rodríguez and Aurelio López are the only three players in MLB history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 52."

I wish there had been more checklists in the box, this was the only one.

I had forgotten that Piniella had played for the Royals for several years and won ROY with them.
Also didn't realize that Rick Dempsey was ever a Yankee.
Both these cards are awesome.

Some of my favorites from the 75's.
I prefer a nice Spring Training crooked background/posed shot over a blurry in-game action shot.

From the 1976 cards I love the Wilbur Wood, and more great Spring Training poses.

There was a nice assortment of airbrushed traded cards in there as well.

The biggest name in the box was this card of Hank Aaron.

In the 1977 set, a classic pose of Jim Umbarger at, I think, the old Arlington Stadium.

All-in-all I'm pleased to get this box, and at the price I paid for it...pretty awesome.


15 comments:

  1. Isn't that an eckersley rookie on the top of the '76 stack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic deal, kudos to your daughter for picking that up. Lots of great cards there, especially the Eck and Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I have all these cards, but I'd jump on those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a masterful troll showing off the Eckersley RC and never mentioning it in the post. Not sure I'd've jumped on that for $50 but for the cost of a blaster that's a lot more do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love daughters who hook you up with great card deals! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the cards look to be in pretty good shape too, which is a bit surprising given the source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even at $49... I think I would have pulled the trigger. $15 = no brainer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun stack of cards for the price. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great find by your daughter! Curious, how much were they selling the other box for?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a great find! Some really fun cards in there too.

    ReplyDelete