Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Junk Mall Junk Wax Wednesday

 Ripping a random pack of junk wax from the local junk mall.

Pack of 17 cards and 1 Magic Motion Trivia Card.
These were the first standard baseball cards packaged in clear semi-cellophane that I recall seeing (Topps rack packs were clear back into the 70's, but I never saw any of those). I remember being both excited (maybe I'll see an Angels card I need) and a little unsure (I shouldn't be able to see what's inside this pack - doesn't seem right).

And I'll admit, when I pulled this pack at the junk mall, it was for the Niekro card I could see on the bottom!
This is my favorite Score design.
I haven't yet gotten to these in my boxes to list on TCDB as traders, but I might just have enough to be close to a set. I ripped a lot of this in '88. If I am close, I think I'll go ahead and try to complete it.

I never really knew what to do with these trivia cards back then, consequently I ended up getting rid of all of them.

The cards actually came packaged separated by color, in the order you see. And of course the set is divided into color sections.
Very cool.

There's that Niekro that was on the bottom, I could see the backside of the card through the wrapper.

This was Phil Niekro's last traditional baseball card.





8 comments:

  1. First Score set I completed, spurred on by the old '88 Score blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this set when it first came out. Spent hours reading all those write-ups on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 24 seasons, 20 consecutive with the same team. Don't see that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always really liked that Niekro card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man those card backs were something special back in the day. Actually... they still look amazing 35 years later. I know Sportflics had some colorful backs as well back then... but they were consider high-end cards to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aside from the colors, my favorite thing about this set as a kid was all of the action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me, it isn't searching when the pack is exposed like that. It's just looking!

    ReplyDelete